Thursday, July 8, 2010

Week 1 OR Why did I start a blog just before the holiday?

Okay, so you can tell from the title of this post that I wasn't able to follow through on my commitment to write on at least five of the last seven days.
Let's discuss-
The POSITIVE:
I did write on three of the five days, so I did something. I re-edited and added to the short story I've been working on.
I wrote in my journal on three occasions.
The negative:
I am on an island in Maine. There were several festive activities over the holiday weekend.
We had overnight company yesterday.
I've been thinking about THE ISSUE about which I evaded elaborating on in the last posting.
Are these excuses? No way.
Are they reasons? Yes.
Why, you may ask, am I emphasizing the POSITIVE? Because in all the good writing workshops I've attended and lead, the instructor has each participant focus on what's working first, then on what needs work. This is my philosophy in dealing with myself and others.
So--instead of beating myself up about what I didn't do, I'm focusing on what I did accomplish and committing again to write five out of the next seven days. It will mostly be journal writing because I'm leaving the island for a few days. But that's okay. When I get back on Monday, I'll work on my story as much as I can until my next posting.
How was your week? Any suggestions for me? I'd love to hear from you.

No comments: