Thursday, July 22, 2010

Week 3: I got the old buzz back!

Well, I committed to working on my short story on three different days, and I have done so. It was on day 2 that I looked at a paragraph I'd just written and thought, "Wow, this is good," and then I got the old writer's rush. It was great! I know this is a temporary state of mind, but it reminded me why I've always been so passionate about writing. I've also been faithfully writing in my journal almost every day. Do I think everything's all fixed now? No way -- but I'm encouraged. You can't call yourself a writer if you're not writing. The corollary of that is if you are writing, you may not be writing something award-winning, but you're doing what you need to be doing.
One of the things that's helped me get my groove back is swimming. I used to walk or do the treadmill for exercise, but in the Spring I hurt my ankle so had to give up that kind of walking.
Fortunately, I live near a pool but hadn't swum for years. I was surprised at how much I've come to enjoy doing laps almost every day. It reminds me of summers when I was a kid, and as an adult I appreciate the serenity in gliding through the water.
Anyway, I still have THE ISSUE on my mind, and I can only concentrate on the writing for an hour or two a day, but it feels like progress.
How are you doing?

No comments: